get excited about working hard and thinking outside of the box to support
children and families? Do you love to
engage with children and families and to think therapeutically about
behaviors and interventions? Do you
enjoy helping children develop their social and coping skills? If so we have
the perfect position for you, allowing you to interact daily and work with
children one on one and in a group to support them and help them build on
ABOUT EXTENDED DAY TREATMENT
Extended Day Treatment (EDT) is a therapeutically intensive program that supports children in developing and practicing social and coping skills that will help them to be more successful in their schools, homes and communities. During the 6-month program, children work on individualized goals and build skills in daily peer groups. They develop conflict resolution skills and learn to express their feelings in healthy, productive ways. Family involvement is critical. Families receive support in connecting with schools and the community to identify opportunities and build a foundation for success. Group, individual and family therapy, case management and medication management is also provided as needed.
ABOUT THE VILLAGE
The Village was one of the first agencies in the country to provide homes for neglected children. Today, we continue to achieve our mission "to build a community of strong, healthy families who protect and nurture children" by providing a full range of behavioral health, early childhood and youth development, substance abuse treatment, and support services for children, families and adults in the Greater Hartford region.
Our staff are energetic, enthusiastic, mission-driven and open to learning. If you’d like to grow your career in a diverse and supportive environment rich with learning opportunities, join us!
The Child Development Specialist I participates as a key member of a multi-disciplinary treatment team in the treatment and/or education of children with significant emotional, behavioral and learning disabilities. She/He ensures that the children’s physical and emotional needs are met on a daily basis and supports the children’s academic learning by focusing on the enhancement of their social, recreational and behavioral functioning.
- Maintain the safety of children in all situations through the use of supervision and the implementation of various therapeutic techniques, including Therapeutic Crisis Intervention.
- Maintain a safe, clean and dignified milieu environment.
- Serve as a healthy role model. Demonstrate techniques that enhance problem solving abilities and enable growth and maturity.
- Understand and relay relevant information.
- Record and document critical information in a timely matter.
- Communicate with parents/guardians in a professional and timely matter.
- Communicate with coworkers in a professional and timely matter.
- Communicate with external professionals (e.g. Teachers, DCF Workers) in a professional and timely manner.
- Manage and assist in the modification of child behavior.
- Provide safe transportation to and from program activities.
- Conduct oneself in a professional, courteous manner in all job-related interactions.
- Interact with children in a positive, nurturing, therapeutic manner.
- Facilitate or co-facilitate therapeutic groups.
- Participate in program meetings, agency meetings, supervision and training events as deemed appropriate by supervisor.
- Conduct any other related work to insure that the physical and emotional needs of the children are met and that the program continues to operate effectively.
- May be required to work in other programs as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Village offers a comprehensive flexible benefits package designed to aid in the health and well-being of our employees and their dependents, including:
- Medical and Prescription Coverage
- Health Savings Account (HSA), with employer contribution of up to $1,000 per year
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Annual on-site flu clinics
- Employer paid Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employer paid Dependent Life Insurance
- Employer paid Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Employer Paid Business Travel Insurance
- 403(b) Plan with Employer Contribution and Match
Advancement in your Career
- Annual Professional License Reimbursement
- Clinical Supervision toward Licensure
- Continuing Education Units (CEU’s)
- Student Loan Forgiveness Program â€“ National Health Service Corp (NHSC)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Employer paid and confidential counseling services
- Paid Holidays
- Paid time off; including 15 days of vacation, 12 days of sick and bereavement leave